PIERRE R. MICHAUD, MD
875 CENTERVILLE ROAD BUILDING 2 WARWICK RI 02886 401-828-4840
We are pleased to offer our cosmetic patients the opportunity to purchase Insurance Coverage through Cosmetic Protect.
This is a supplemental Insurance for patients having cosmetic procedures that helps protect you in the event of a surgical complication. This coverage lasts for 45 days after the surgery.
What is CosmeticProtect?
CosmeticProtect is a unique insurance program that provides patients protection from the stress and financial burdens that arise as a result of complications from cosmetic surgery.
CosmeticProtect provides coverage for some of the most common elective cosmetic surgeries.
CosmeticProtect is offered only to Board Certified and Board Eligible plastic surgeons and is underwritten by Markel Insurance Company, an A rated, admitted carrier.
Once enrolled, patients undergoing one or more of the following procedures qualify to receive specific benefits in the event of a covered complication:
Lower Body Lift
Upper Arm Lift
Breast Implant Removal
Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
Breast Implant Removal with Replacement
My health insurance won't pay for complications?"
The fact is complications, although rare, do happen and due to the nature of your surgery being elective, those complications are not covered by most major medical health plans. In the event there is a complication from your surgery, you will be responsible for the out-of-pocket costs of treatment. With today's increasing health care costs, this can really add up, leaving you financially burdened as well as mentally and emotionally stressed.
Physicians participating in CosmeticProtect have chosen to help alleviate the worries of these financial burdens. They understand your decision to have an elective cosmetic surgical procedure may have taken months, even years, to make. They know it was a very personal choice, and they have gone the extra mile to make you feel comfortable about the procedure you have chosen.
Only complications which occur and are treated within 45 days after the procedure are covered, and patients must be enrolled in the CosmeticProtect program in order to receive the benefits specified for the following complications:
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Rule Out Deep Vein Thrombosis
Rule Out Myocardial Infarction
Rule Out Pulmonary Embolus
Severe hypotension (systolic blood pressure equal to or less than 80 three hours after the covered procedure)
Severe hypertension (systolic blood pressure equal to or greater than 200 or a diastolic blood pressure equal to or greater than 100 three hours after the covered procedure).
Benefit Maximum Amount
Inpatient Hospital Expense
100% of Usual & Customary up to $5,000 per day up to a maximum of 45 days
Intensive Care / Trauma Expense
Additional $1,000 per day at 100% of Usual and Customary up to a maximum of 10 days
Emergency Medical Expense
100% of Usual and Customary up to $2,500
100% of Usual and Customary up to $2,000
Follow-Up Outpatient Physician Expense
100% of Usual and Customary up to $1,500
Outpatient Procedure to Rule Out Deep Vein Thrombosis
100% of Usual and Customary up to $750
Additional Coverage Conditions
Only covered expenses incurred during the 6 months from the date coverage is initiated are eligible for reimbursement.
Other Insurance Provision:The coverage provided by CosmeticProtect is payable only in excess of other valid and collectible insurance.
Coverage is based on Tier and Procedure:
TIER ONE PROCEDURES
Upper Arm Lift
Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
TIER TWO PROCEDURES
TIER THREE PROCEDURES
Lower Body Lift
The fees above are one time fees paid by the patient for this *cosmetic surgical procedure(s) coverage and cover patient for 45 days from the date of their cosmetic surgery.
- PLEASE NOTE: CosmeticProtect is NOT revisionary coverage.
If the doctor recommends a revision to a cosmetic procedure to improve the outcome for the patient any fees related to the revision are the patient’s responsibility. This would include doctor’s fee and hospital fees. (facility fee and anesthesia fee)
What is excluded?
The policy does not cover loss nor provide benefits for:
- Expenses resulting from any declared or undeclared war;
- Suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury;
- Expenses while in the armed forces of any country;
- Expenses covered by any workers' compensation or occupational disease law;
- The patient being under the influence of alcohol or drugs unless taken on a physician's advice;
- Treatment provided in a governmental hospital unless the patient is legally obligated to pay such charges;
- Experimental or investigative service, supply, or treatment;
- Sickness or disease, mental incapacity or bodily infirmity, except as provided for herein;
- Infections of any kind, except as provided for herein;
- Treatment for mental disorders;
- Medical expenses that are a result of a patient's dissatisfaction with the cosmetic results of a surgical procedure, or additional surgery to improve the appearance of the affected area;
- Treatment that is normally managed on an outpatient basis by a plastic surgeon such as, but not limited to, minor infections, tissue sloughing, and hematoma;
- Charges related to transportation, except where specifically covered in the policy;
- Charges for items or services of convenience, including but not limited to: admission kits, telephones, slippers, or homemaker services; supportive service focusing on activities of daily life such as bathing, dressing, feeding, or skin and/or bladder care; administration of oral medication or eye drops, except as specifically covered in the policy; or
- Any services, supplies, or treatment furnished by the patient or a patient's immediate family.